Learn about the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and the duties of managers and supervisors in this introductory e-course.
The course also offers practical advice for managers and supervisors to help protect workers' health and safety. Developed by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) in collaboration with the IAPA.
You will also review WHMIS hazard symbols and their meanings, supplier and workplace labels, and material safety data sheets (MSDSs). The course outlines practical advice and basic health and safety measures you can take to protect your employees and prevent workplace injuries and illnesses.
The course also features case studies, review quizzes, "Ask a Question", and access to resources from CCOHS and IAPA. Those who score at least 80% on the final exam will be able to print a certificate of completion.
- Basics of WHMIS and duties of the employer
- Duties and responsibilities of managers and supervisors
- Components of a WHMIS program
- Hazard communication
- WHMIS hazard classes and their symbols
- Material safety data sheets (MSDSs)
- Safe use and handling of hazardous materials
- Worker education and training
- Helpful resources from IAPA, CCOHS and more
- Links to federal and provincial information sources
Upon completion of the course you will
- Know your duties and responsibilities under WHMIS regulations
- Know the WHMIS hazard classes and symbols and their meanings
- Understand the types of information provided on supplier and workplace labels
- Understand the information on MSDSs and be able to find information on hazards and preventive measures
- Know how to control hazards and protect employees working with or near hazardous materials
- Know how to find additional information on hazardous materials
- Managers and supervisors in Ontario workplaces where chemical products are used
- Human resources and safety professionals in Ontario who have responsibilities for training and compliance
This course is delivered as an online e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company. See the tabs above for additional information.