Numerous studies and surveys all have come to the same conclusion: stress in the workplace impacts workers and the organizations for which they work. Too much job stress harms health, safety and well-being.
This course introduces participants to the complex issue of stress in the workplace, including what workplace stress is, its causes and negative impacts. Workers and managers alike will learn to identify signs of workplace stress, as well as measures to prevent, eliminate or reduce stress in the workplace.
Particular emphasis is placed on the importance of organizational factors - including the ways in which work is organized. Strategies for employers and workers to manage personal stress will also be addressed. Note that this course does not address “critical stress”, as may be experienced in response to a traumatic or catastrophic event.
This course includes case studies with discussion summaries and other examples to illustrate the concepts, as well as practical tools such as sample forms and checklists. Quizzes throughout the course and an exam help to measure and encourage learning.
- Causes of workplace stress
- Organizational factors vs. individual/personal factors
- Impact on workers and organizations
- Workplace stress as a health and safety hazard
- Recognizing the signs of workplace stress
- What employers can do
- Managing stress
- Tips to help prevent, eliminate and reduce workplace stress
Upon completion of the course you will know how to:
- Describe stress within a workplace context
- Explain why workplace stress is a health and safety hazard
- List common causes of workplace stress
- Recognize common signs of workplace stress
- Describe how employers, managers and supervisors can prevent, eliminate or reduce workers’ workplace stress
- Describe how workers can prevent, eliminate or reduce the effects of workplace stress
- Access other sources of information about workplace stress
Average time to complete this course is approximately one hour.
This course is suitable for all levels of organizations, including managers, supervisors, and front-line workers.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
See the tabs above for additional information.
Also available in French, see the complementary items tab above.